- NOAA weather
- Site specific weather
- Intellicast - large variety of weather report products
- DUAT contract weather for flight planning
- Accuweather Radar Maps
- METAR & TAF Codes Air Force Pamphlet 11-238 Aircrew Quick Reference Guide to METAR and TAF codes.
Government FAA PilotWeb (NOTAMs, ARTCC Notices, TFRs)
Reference approved NOTAM contractions (pdf download).
FAA Instrument Approach Plates
Edwards AFB Ops Online COOL
Sectional Charts and more at SkyVector
Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFR lists and interactive maps)
- GliderFlying - motor gliders, soaring, and training since 1998.
- RenoAirRaces2006 - pictures from a journalist assignment.
- WingAndPrayer - Stunt plane looses a wing and lands safely video hoax.
- ChecklistAcronyms for Aviators.
At the January FIRC, the FAA required discussion of Technically Advanced Aircraft (TAA). I questioned the dominant theme that move toward the new avionics is for "safety". I proposed that the ~real~ issue was commercial one-up-man-ship, and the "we can so we will" factor. Your plane won't be bought and you won't get the contract if you don't offer the new stuff.
Nobody could think of any data supporting the presumed move toward safety, and in fact, the anecdotal evidence is that it causes more accidents. Well.. okay.. If it ~were~ saving lives and preventing accidents, there is no data on what didn't happen. BTW, this is a lot like our government's move toward quoting "jobs saved" rather than "jobs created". It's convenient to claim jobs saved or accidents prevents because the numbers are impossible to track, to justify, or to critique.
End of February 2012, AvWeb wrote on the topic:
REPORT: NO SAFETY ADVANTAGE TO GLASS PANELS
The safety records of airplanes with glass panels are about the same as airplanes of the same model with analog cockpits, according to a new study by the Air Safety Institute, a division of the AOPA Foundation. However, "glass-panel aircraft may be more susceptible to accidents during takeoffs, landings, and go-arounds," the study found. The available data were insufficient to conclude what caused that difference. Some factors, according to the study, might include transition training, a tendency to fixate on the glass panels instead of external cues, or difficulty in interpreting airspeed and altitude from the glass-panel readouts compared to interpreting analog displays. The complete study, which provides an exhaustive and complex analysis of the data, is available online free from AOPA, or available locally).
Two years ago, the NTSB arrived at similar conclusions.
- HomebuiltAircraftChoice (Which homebuilt experimental aircraft should I build? )
- USAF Test Pilot School Oral Traditions
- EAA Training Videos, including "How to Quickly Ace Weather Theory on a Practical Test."
- "Unchained Goddess", on DVD with "Hemo the Magnificent" is only $9.11. Best explanation of the Coriolis effect.
- Park Township Airport, Holland, Michigan
- Sugar Springs Airstrip Yahoo Discussion Group.
- SugarSpringsAirstrip - Michigan air strip property
- The way it used to be: 1945 version of the regs, toward the bottom of Increa's Aviation page.
Medical Certificate Information http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification
Find out what date the FAA is processing Airman Certificates http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification
Lost pilot certificates www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/certificate_replacement/
Update address - remember you have 30 days after you move http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/update_address/
Lost Written exam - remember don't loose your written exam http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/test_results_replacement
Pilot Application form - 8710-1 http://forms.faa.gov/forms/faa8710-1a.pdf
Integrated Airman Certification and Rating Application (IACRA) http://iacra.faa.gov/iacra/
FAA Safety presentationsâ€”event lists https://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/events/EventList.aspx
Sign up for the FAA Safety program and review current programs (Wings Program)s http://www.faasafety.gov
- FAA ExamStudyGuides.
Pilot Organizations:Cessna 120-140 Association - http://www.cessna120-140.org (if desired, membership is $25/yr as of 2012)
Cessna Group - www.cessnaowner.org
Piper Group - www.Piperowner.org
Experimental Association - www.EAA.org
Aircraft Owners Pilots Associations - www.AOPA.org
National Aeronautic Association - www.naa.aero
National Association of Flight Instructors--NAFI - www.NAFInet.org
Titan II missile complex information:
- SAC info
- [http://asuwlink.uwyo.edu/~jimkirk/titan2.html|Titan Missiles Lots-o-links